Monday, December 08, 2008

Fragrant Frock Sachet - crochet pattern


I have called this little item a "Fragrant Frock", because to me "frock" is such a delightfully old fashioned term. I remember my Mum in Law once saying to me "that's a lovely frock" and one of my kids laughing and saying "what the heck is a frock?"
A "frock" does sound so very proper though. I can't imagine a floozy wearing a "frock". You sit with your legs crossed and sip tea in a china tea cup while wearing a frock. Ladies wear frocks. Men should open the door for you if you wear a frock. To me it is feminine and pre feminism.
A frock is defined as a loose dress with a skirt and a bodice. I also think of a religious frock or smock.
Any hows I did take the time to write out the pattern for the little pink oddity I found in Grandmas cupboard that I shared in my last post. I am sure Grandma is smiling at the thought of something out of her cupboard, and the term "frock" being immortalised on the web.

I did have fun recreating this, as it is so long since I made the first one. I have no idea what the yarn in the original pink one is but it feels like a baby nylon in a 3 ply. Make sure you follow the correct terminology as I have used both Aus UK / USA terms like this dc/sc. These could also look kinda cute hanging on the Christmas tree as I reckon Angels would wear "frocks".


Fragrant Frock
Australian UK terms first/ USA terms second

Lavender frock above measures 10cm/4in long worked in 4ply baby weight and 3.75mm hook.

Round 1: Start at the neck; 20ch slst into a ring, 3ch start then 43tr/dc into ring, slst join = 44

Round 2 - 3: 3ch start, 1tr/dc into each st around slst join = 44

Round 4: slst to between ch post and first tr/dc; 5ch start, 1tr/dc into same sp, miss 3st, into next sp (1tr/dc, 2ch, 1dc/sc) 4times; miss 10 then ((1tr/dc, 2ch, 1tr/dc) into next sp, miss 3) 5times; slst join to 3rd ch of start post = 10 groups of 2.

Round 5: slst to ch sp between post and tr/dc, (3ch start, 1tr/dc, 1ch, 2tr/dc) into this sp, then into each ch sp around work (2tr/dc, 1ch, 2tr/dc); slst join to start ch = 10 shells.

Rounds 6, 7, 8: as for round 5

Round 9: slst to ch space, 3ch start, 4tr/dc into first sp, then 5tr/dc into each ch sp around, slst join.

Join Bottom: Fold your frock in half so that your thread is on the right corner, match front and back shells and work through both sides 1dc/sc next 2st, into next st *(1dc/sc, 2ch, 1slst into dc/sc) this is a picot, 1dc/sc next 4st* repeat from *-* finish with 1dc/sc next 2st slst finish, weave in end = 5 picots

Join yarn at half way point on neck, 15ch then slst join to opposite side of neck, weave in ends.
Add a bow, pop some fragrant wooden balls into your frock, and loop on a hanger in the cupboard.
Moth balls tickle my nose, however I like the smell of cedar balls or some of the little fragrant soaps that are available.


These make great little charity fundraisers or gifts for a bit of yesteryear. Have fun making them!
(c) crochetroo Australia protected by copyright. Please do not reproduce my patterns or images by any means. While I am happy for you to make these for personal use, gifts and limited charity fundraising, please do not sell on the web or sell to make a personal profit.

7 comments:

Nima said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern. I'm going to try it now, i think i'll include this along with the girlish gifts i give to my friends and family again. What a cute pattern and idea.

Tina said...

They are so sweet and thank you for sharing them with us. I'll have to go find some nice smelling beads or potpourri to put inside; and make one.

Casa Oficio said...

Olá
Seus crochês como sempre estão maravilhosos...Parabéns!!!
Beijosssssssss

Phooey said...

Hello from chilly New Jersey/USA Love your work and your site. You need to be published or maybe have a craft show on tv. Happy crocheting.............

Unknown said...

I just wanted you to know that this is a lovely pattern and I thank you for sharing it.

Diana said...

I love this pattern too and the way to scent it. I do want to tell you that , unless I missed something, it does not give instructions for the second sleeve. I worked that out. Thank you so much for sharing it,

Elly said...

Hello, nice patern, but how can I get te second sleeve?
Greets from the Nederlands, Elly